Sunday, January 8, 2012

iPad App CloudOn Review (Windows Office on your iPad!)

CloudOn is an application specifically designed to work on IPads. This internet program, in essence, incorporates Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point viewer and editor. As it is internet based, a network connection is required. In order to use CloudOn, one must have a free Dropbox account for storage. The Office programs run on CloudOn’s servers, requiring no Microsoft licensing. Did I mention that this program is FREE? I am not sure how they are able to do this, but I am not complaining!
Functionality seems to be exactly what you have come to expect from Office programs. If you are an Office user, you will have no problem finding your way around the Office programs. As for the CloudOn portion, I had no problems creating and managing my existing documents. I did encounter minimal confusion when moving from one opened document to another. In spite of the confusion, I want to stress that this seems to have full Office functionality and is not a dumbed down version. There have been some adjustments to be more touch friendly and I find they work very well. Stability has been a bit sketchy right now but I am thinking this function will improve as time goes on. While I was writing this review utilizing the CloudOn program, I lost my connection twice to the program, despite having stable internet connection. Luckily, CloudOn continuously saves as you go, enabling me to easily able to pick up where I left off.
In my opinion, CloudOn seemed to skimp on the aesthetics of their program. When you are in the CloudOn side, it resembles a standard iPad application. When you switch to the Office side, however, is when things seem to breakdown, as it mimics a Windows app, not an iPad app. Some of the menus seem to be a bit small and some of the Windows icons don’t seem to work.
I am blown away about how good this application is, combined with the fact that it is free! Despite the aforementioned imperfections, I am optimistic that some of the stability issues will be resolved. I really hope this program remains free, although I would be willing to pay for upgrades and improvements. If you have any need to do Office work on your iPad, you may benefit from utilizing this new program! CloudOn is geared for anyone (i.e. students, business professionals, etc.) that need to use Office on the go!

For more information visit site.cloudon.com

No comments: