Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Terra Web Browser iPad app Review

!!UPDATE: Terra Web Browser is back in the App Store for Free!!

Terra Web Browser for the iPad is an alternative to the Safari Browser.
This free browser offers some much requested features such as Tabs, Gestures, and download management.  This is not a perfect browser with some very glaring faults but may be a good second browser if the features are something you need.





Pros:

  • Clean interface with even a full screen mode.
  • Very good gesture controls to move between tabs and go back and forth in browser history.
  • Tabs are exactly what you're looking for.
  • Download management is easy with some features like built in PDF viewer.
  • Speedy (I wouldn't say faster then Safari but similar).
Cons:
  • Does not render all sites well.  (My biggest complaint.  Some sites turn out to be unusable.)
  • Unable to move tabs around.
  • Does not import bookmarks easily. (Has to be done in iTunes).
  • Search box does not even come close to Safari's.  (Missing real time search)
  • Search text on page is janky.
I cant say I would recommend this browser until they fix the site rendering problem.  If you just hate Safari's tabs then maybe give this a try for a second browser.  If you know of another browser that does it all let me know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where exactly is this app? I see a lot of reviews about this, but it does not show up in the AppStore when I search for it, and it's as if it has never existed. I'm in Australia and some Australian online forums suggest it disappeared from the AppStore sometime last year.

WildNate said...

You are right it does look like the app is now missing from the app store. Hmm well if I hear any updates I will post them.

Joe said...

I have a friend with the app, and highly recommended it to me. But, like you, I can find no sign of it. Alternatives?

Raz said...

I wonder if has been taken down while they fix bugs. I have it and it was my favorite browser, but for the last few weeks it crashes every single time I use it, 5-15 minutes after opening.

I just found it was gone when I went to the app store to look for bug info or post a complaint.

Anonymous said...

I am using terra right now!

But I can't get to the page in the app store on my or any other iPad!

The app should be at...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fus%2Fapp%2Fterra-web-browser-tabs-full%2Fid394704159%3Fmt%3D8&rct=j&q=Terra%20browser%20ipad&ei=ZFrgTYbHM9LTgQeYubDqCg&usg=AFQjCNGLhZxtB9KinkdVqUsWQLyLkQpoYQ

...but I don't know why it's not!

I hope they fix it! I just tried to install it on another iPad and I couldn't. But I have never had a problem with crashing before either...

WildNate said...

The Terra Web Browser is back in the iTunes App Store. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/terra-web-browser-tabs-full/id394704159?mt=8