Friday, May 20, 2011

Hulu Plus + for iPad review

Hulu Plus is an app that lets you stream a ton of content from the site www.hulu.com.  Hulu has deals with NBC, FOX, and ABC to provide content.  Hulu Plus is basically their premium service that allows you to stream all their content on the web and use the Hulu Plus App on you iOS devices.  The Hulu Plus App is free but you will need to pay $7.99 a month to get the service.  You will get most use out of this application for TV shows.  With Hulu Plus you will even be able to get a bunch of back catalog stuff.  There are movies but the list is pretty much B movies.

Pros:
  • Massive amount of content (TV).
  • Quality was most of the time pretty good.
  • Interface makes finding shows easy.
  • Nice way to save and subscribe to your favorite shows.

Cons:
  • Many of my favorite shows are Web Only. (they don't work in app)
  • No social features.  So not easy to share or discover new shows.
  • Movie selection is just bad.
  • Does not seem to resume were I left off if I leave the app.
  • Ads

Final Thoughts:
Hulu Plus is not a plus at all in my book.  I do have to admit there is a ton of content that makes it appealing.  But for $7.99 a month why is content  blocked on my device.  With some glaring omissions like any kind of social integration and does not save my spot in the show, I am going to pass on Hulu Plus.  For me I am sticking to Netflix (good movies) and Crackle (free with ads).  But if you just need to know how this service is you can get 1 week to 1 month trail periods if you look around (sign up through xbox live for 1 month free trail).

No comments: