Tuesday, March 8, 2011

iPad App Game Review Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Conviction HD



I have been playing Splinter Cell games since the original Xbox so I was super excited to do some stealth kills on my iPad.  The game delivers but maybe not enough.

Story:
I always find Tom Clancy games as hard to follow as his books.  Not to say I don’t like them.  Again the game follows Sam Fisher.  Sam Fisher finds him self caught up involved with a corrupt secret agency to get his daughter back.  You will battle your way through highly secure builds to towns in the Middle East.  The story is good and keeps you involved.  Much more then most iPad games.

Game play:
This is a 3rd person action game. You will be running and gunning finding cover and taking out everyone. The controls on Splinter Cell Conviction I find to be very good.  I can easily sneak behind someone or run from cover to cover with no problems.  Aiming and shooting are similar to 1st person games the left side controller controls movement and anywhere on the right side controls looking/aiming.  Moving to cover is a easy as looking towards a place you can get cover behind and taping the cover button on the right.  This is a stealth game so ammo is limited and you will probably die if you just run in guns blazing.  But you can adjust the difficulty in the options between 3 different levels Cadet, Agent, and Splinter Cell.  The game play does get pretty repetitive as the game goes on.  You move from one room you just cleared all the baddies to the next to clear. They try to through in some differences by some sniping and one whole section you play as a military person helping to rescue Sam.  This section I thought would be a nice change by running and gunning, but I found I still didn't have enough ammo to do that.

Graphics & Sounds:

The graphics in Splinter Cell are good but not great.  The levels are really linier and seem to lack substance.  Some textures seem to be a little bland as well.  The character models do look good other then all the baddies looking similar.  Now this is not to say its bad looking still one of the games I like to show off when showing the graphics on my iPad.  Now the menus look great with scenes from the game are the background.  As for sounds yes they are awesome.  The voice acting is one of the best on iPad.  Even though its a different actor for Sam.  Explosions are good gun fire sound different.  Music is not intrusive and adds to the experience.

Lasting Appeal:
The game seems pretty long I have been playing for about 5 hours and game is just about complete.  But this will not be a game I revisit after I complete.  There is no multi-player.  So other then going back and trying to get a better score or more Gameloft Trophies not much to go back for.  Also there is no Game Center support.

Summary:
I really like this game.  Unfortunately I just don't finish most of my games on the iPad, I just loose interest to quick.  But this game it has kept me going and wanting to see the end.  I would recommend this game for Splinter Cell fans or stealth action game fans.  But don't go in thinking this is a full console version of Splinter Cell.

Update:
I have reached a point in the game that I am stuck on.  I am on the last level and stuck on a bridge, the door is locked and I cant get on the boat.  I will keep trying to finish the game I may have to replay the whole level but I hope no one else has this problem.

No comments: