Friday, February 18, 2011

One man's stand against Apple's App Store in app purchases!


There seems to be a new trend in game apps in Apple’s App Sore.  The apps come out and say they are free.  They rise to the top of the free app section with no easy to see signs you have to pay. You can play a level or so but then it stops and says you need to buy the full version. What pay why its free right? A new example of this is Namco’s Ridge Racer Accelerate HD.  Now down towards the bottom left in Top in App Purchases you can see to unlock the full version its $8.99.  This is not easily visible and missed by me most of the time.

Now I have two main problems with this.  One its not easy to see this is a trail version. If you download it and thing your getting the full version you are going to be disappointed that you have to shell out $9 to play more then one level.  They really need to make it easier to see this is a trail version.  Two I am a bargain hunter.  I check web sites like AppShopper.com and Gizmondo’s dealzmodo nearly every day to find sales on apps.  If to buy the app its all in app purchase how will I know when an app goes on sale?  Will apps go on sale as much because the app is already in the Top 10 free app section.

In short this new way of purchasing apps is really making it harder for me to find good deals on good apps.  I hope this trend will not take off, right now I am holding off buying some apps that I would really like because of this like GameLoft’s Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden HD.  Maybe my one man stand against this will change things. (probably not)

No comments: